As we head into the Winter months...now is the time to take proactive safety measures to protect your family and home against the threat of power outages. Consider these tips:
• Invest in a home generator. They can keep critical equipment like refrigerators and sump pumps running during a blackout.
• Utilize surge protectors. A UL-listed surge protector can safeguard expensive electronic devices like televisions, gaming consoles and desktop computers.
• Develop a family emergency communications plan. It’s important to have a game plan so everyone knows what to do and when. Decide on a meeting spot, identify shelter locations and store the plan on your cellphone.
Assemble an emergency survival kit. Account for your pets, too. We recommend having the following items readily available:
• Three litres of water per person per day for at least three days
• Non-perishable food to last each person three days
• Flashlight and extra batteries
• First-aid kit
• Sanitation and personal hygiene items
• Copies of important personal documents (e.g., medication lists, passports, birth certificates and insurance policies)
• Cellphone with both wall and car chargers
• Pet food, supplies and water
• Emergency contact information for family and friends